It's Saturday morning at 4.24am and I couldn't sleep because there were too many emails left unsent. Usually I'm good at switching off but.. apparently not tonight.
This year my goals are:
To make time for my mental and physical health.
To carry out all my roles (teacher, HSA director and Across Schools CoL) to the best of my ability.
To support staff wellbeing.
To actively maintain a positive personal outlook.
Here is the snapshot update on how that is going:
- Visits to the gym this week: 0
- McDonald's eaten: 2 kiwiburger combos.
- Casual sports games played this week: 2 games of tag.
- Books read: finished the third Orphan X on Tuesday night.
- Teaching highlights:
- Building and using a 'reading corner' with a large mat for Year 9 to gather on at the start of lessons. I'm trying to give an introduction, set expectations and have discussions with them there at the start of the lesson. There's a lot of them though. They overflow.
- Creating a booklet for 'introduction to science' for the Year 9's which they appear to have thoroughly enjoyed so far!
- Marking that booklet and using the small amount of evidence in it to create literacy groups named after ancestral waka.
- Creating 5 different versions of the same reading for those literacy groups.
- Getting feedback from the three (of 10, the rest were at a spontaneous leadership course) Year 13s present during Thursday and Friday: "this makes sense Miss, this is all good."
- Running a 'pads and tampons' investigation using a very poor-quality fake blood that I whipped up with gelatin, cornflour, water and red food colouring on the very first day of biology with my Year 12 class, which is a class of 25 girls!
- Results: tauira were engaged, surprised, and thoughtful - they learnt that super pads absorb a lot more (about 20mL more) than super tampons.
- One group created a striking visual of tampon absorbancy as the tampon expanded and blocked an upside-down measuring cylinder full of fake blood.
- Another group tested different brands of liners stuck on paper towels, and found out which brands would leak first. The thickness of the best liner seemed to also be assisted in preventing leakage by imprints of flowers in the pad.
- I wish I had taken photos!!
- Had a CoL meeting and came out knowing what data I need to track down to begin with, and knowing I have to think of a project and inquiry outline before the next meeting (Valentines Day).
- Teacher wellbeing support: ran a "Holiday Book Swap" in the staffroom on Friday afternoon.
- Gratitude emails sent: 4, subject line is simply :)