Sunday 24 March 2019

Week 8 recount



Goals:
To make time for my mental and physical health. 
To carry out all my roles (teacher, HSA director and Across Schools CoL) to the best of my ability. 
To support staff wellbeing. 
To actively maintain a positive personal outlook.

  • Visits to the gym this week: Absolutely none in the week and it's taking a toll on my back, which is starting to get sore. So I made it a priority to go to the gym twice in the weekend. 
  • McDonald's eaten: So. Much. McDonalds. At least 3 times. 
  • Casual sports games played this week: None, and again, not moving around and sitting on my computer doing school work has started to have an impact. 
  • Books read: Finally finished Mud, Sweat and Tears. I'm going to record myself reading it out loud for Stanley to listen and read along with. The story is really inspiring and I think he'd enjoy it.  

      • Last week was also the annual forest field trip for Year 12, which is always a nice day out with the class. Rebekah particularly enjoyed it and said "that was even better than the zoo!" Other choice comments included "man I can definitely get Excellence in this!"
    Looking at a tree.

    Jean explaining how Nikau berries are adapted to attract the birds that disperse their seeds.

    Footprints from an inquisitive mammal.. can you guess what it is? I'll tell you next post!
      •  I also really enjoyed a lesson about inbreeding, outbreeding and genetic diversity with Year 13 where they split into groups and each presented case studies to the class.
    Check out their presentations here:
      • CoL things: Last week I attended three primary school's staff meetings to introduce myself and share my booking sheet. The moment of time to catch them is when they're planning their Science Inquiry topic term! I imagine that I'll be not busy for a while, and then towards the end of the term when people begin looking ahead I could be inundated with requests for help! 
        • HSA things: Period zero ran with an increased number of students - up to 7 this time! 
        • Teacher well-being support: last week was a 'juice tasting' - competitive, of course. 5 teachers came and joined me in guessing the colour, variety, country of origin, region, and descriptors that matched the words describing the flavour on the label of the 'juice.' 
          • I joined in with teachers participating in the #hijabforhumanity:
        • Gratitude emails sent: ONE! - to Carol because she let me run with my crazy, VERY last-minute hokey-pokey making idea. I approached her on Thursday to see if she would allow me to use T1 for the practical, and she said "YEAH of COURSE!" She even measured out and prepared all the ingredients so the lesson would run more quickly and smoothly. It was a fabulous period 6 science lesson and the kids really enjoyed doing something practical.
          • For anyone wondering, the instructions are below.
          • I think it is important that we spend one more lesson going over what a model is in science, and what the science of making hokey pokey actually was: 


        No comments:

        Post a Comment